Author Topic: I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow  (Read 38960 times)

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
Ever since I installed Ambitions, my Sims game started running extremely slowly. Constantly, when trying to move the camera or open the interactions menu, the game would abruptly freeze for a few minutes. My Sims movements and actions are no longer one smoothly connected movement. Instead, they jerkily change positions, as if the sims is just a bunch of moving pictures. When running, my Sims would constantly freeze in mid-run, usually suspended above the air, while life and time go on around them. Constantly, the game would get in such a bad freeze that I would have to force quit the game. I used to love playing The Sims. It used to make me feel happy and entertained. It used to occupy a large chunk of my life. Now I feel nothing but frustration and boredom, up to the fact that I've considered quitting The Sims all together. Please help.
Formerly Simstar3

Members with at least 25 posts do not see ads within a topic.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Hi Simstar.

Have you done any cleanup in the game or on your computer?  Sometimes the game gets slow if you've got too many screenshots saved in the game.  Consider moving/copying them to another location on your computer and then deleting everything in the Screenshots folder.  It's also a good idea to do Disk Cleanup and Defrag on your computer regularly.  Lastly, have you done a complete uninstall/reinstall lately?  It's a good idea to do it regularly, as well, and it's often the thing that will fix your problems.  Check this thread for some details.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver Townie DecaDynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline John Allen

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
Sorry you're having such a hard time.  Know what you mean though.  had and have the same problems.  Actually thinking of just uninstalling and reinstalling Vanilla only.

Pam did make some good points though, and it may help.  

One of the main problems I found is that the game makes videocards overheat, which causes the freezes and stuttering.  With that in mind I did the following, and it has helped a lot:

On my PC: Installed an additional fan blowing onto the graphics card.

With the laptop we have in the house, I put little stands under the feet to raise it an inch and a half.  Then I have a small household fan cooling it off by blowing under and on top of the laptop from the opposite side of the fan vent.  This was in fact the best thing for the game and it has been running much better.

Unconventional yes, but effective.

Offline Holmes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
@Simstar3 These steps may not apply to you but here are a couple of other suggestions, followed by some questions.

1. Disable any custom content if you have any. Badly designed CC could conceivably cause this problem, though it's unlikely.
2. Delete the game caches if you are comfortable manipulating files on your computer. (see below)
3. As Pam says, you can try reinstalling.

One solution you can try before reinstalling completely (remember to deinstall first, especially if you have downloaded versions of any of the EP's or the game itself) is to delete the game caches. If you are comfortable messing about in folders and with files on your computer, you can find instructions here. Note that if you have a mac, do not delete the WorldCache.

[Link removed. - Pam]

-----------------------
Assuming you're running a windows machine, what is your graphics card? Processor? RAM? Free hard drive space?

Here are instructions for how to find out your graphics card:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4916955_out-graphics-card-windows.html

If you right click on "Computer" in the Start menu, and select "Properties" you should be able to find your processor and Installed Memory (RAM) under "System". (Can't recall if this works in Windows XP but does in Vista and 7).

Are you running other programs (e.g. anti-virus, browser) while The Sims is running?

@John some good points. One tip that you're probably aware of if you are installing fans inside your PC -- be careful if you're getting near the edge of your system's power envelope. I've had annoying problems with TS3 and power use.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
Sorry, Holmes.  We don't allow links to mod sites.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »
I used to love playing The Sims. It used to make me feel happy and entertained. It used to occupy a large chunk of my life. Now I feel nothing but frustration and boredom, up to the fact that I've considered quitting The Sims all together. Please help.

Don't give up  :(. I hate to see a good friend leave so prematuraly. Just hang in there and try your best to get the problem. I used to have problems getting the sims work but you know what. I kept on going despite my struggle. Don't let some technical bug bog you down.
I may have a struggle of keeping my intrest but you got to keep going, no matter how hard it is. I will never give up and niether should you. I saw this to from the bottom of my heart "Don't Give Up."
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »
This may sound a little wrong, but I also just recently had the problem of my game constantly freezing/stuttering, much worse than I've ever seen it do. I think it must have come with the recent patch, but since the game was virtually unplayable, I tried starting a new game and I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you can start up a new save game for just a couple of minutes and see if you still encounter the same problems?
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
This may sound a little wrong, but I also just recently had the problem of my game constantly freezing/stuttering, much worse than I've ever seen it do. I think it must have come with the recent patch, but since the game was virtually unplayable, I tried starting a new game and I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you can start up a new save game for just a couple of minutes and see if you still encounter the same problems?

A new patch? My game says that it's already up to date. Am I missing something?
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
No, no, I'm referring to the patch which came out early July.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
If this offers any info, I do use one mod. It allows me to run Ambitions without having to insert the disk. If you read this thread, (http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,1094.0.html) you'll have a pretty good idea on why I use it. Anyway, lemme know if this helps!
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
Simstar,

Have you been having the same problems all this time?  Or did it get better after that first thread was posted?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
I've actually started having the problem after I installed one of the patches, but I forget which one.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
Well, there are some good suggestions in this thread.  I hope you get it worked out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Thank you.  :)
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
I followed PJSims instructions and emptied out my DCBackup folder. Despite the fact that I deleted all 165 files in there, and restarted my computer, my game started getting even slower. My game was pretty laggy and slow before I installed LN, but THIS is ridiculous! The game freezes for at least three minutes if I try to move the stupid camera! My sims actions aren't even connected anymore! It's more like a bunch of pictures being shown one after another!
Gaaaah! I hate this! Playing sims is a nightmare now, and I can only stand to play it- if you call that playing- for a few minutes. Some one help, please! TT.TT
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Jancy

• Occult
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
I also had the same stuttering problem with it pausing every few seconds.  This was happening in Barnacle Bay after I did the patch update and LateNight install. It was so slow and horrible to play with all the pausing.  I just saved my Sim with all her stuff that I wanted in her inventory and started a new game, moved her in a new house and it has been running fine so far.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
That problem occurs in all my games, even when I start new ones.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Jancy

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
I was having problems with BB after the patch.  When I made a Sim and chose a house it shut down to the desktop. Same thing after I  installed LN.  I was going to uninstall and install everything but decided to go this route first. 
I went to my Electronic Arts folder, changed the "The Sims 3 " folder to "The Sims 3 backup" Then started the game up.  I was then able to move into a house etc..  What this did I think was create new user files.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I then moved my saved games in.  Re-downloaded all my downloads from the Sims site. All my games are all working fine. I only had the pausing problem with BB start after days of playing so then I did what I posted above-started a new game.  As of now everything is working fine.  I guess only time will tell.

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
Let's rule out some generic problems first.

Framerate: The sims 3 haves this little issue where the game tries to run at ridiculously high framerate and thus chokes your poor videocard, making the game slower and causing crashes. The easy way to prevent this is to go to your videocard's control panel and force vsync and triple buffering for the sims 3 and each of it's expansions.

Cache Files: The sims 3 creates cache files to speed things up, however, it doesn't clean them up of old unused data. Deleting your cache files will make the game slower the first time it haves to create them again (first time you enter a cas page, or start a world, or open the build/buy menus), but if they were cluttered with things, you should see a speed up afterward. Additionally, the game also caches script files, which are the ones that rule on how things behave. If the game forgot to change/remove those when patching or you at some point had some custom content that used scripts and is no longer compatible, deleting the script cache will help a lot.

On the same place you found the DCBackup folder, delete or move to a safe place: CASPartCache.package, ScriptCache.package, CompositorCache.package and simCompositorCache.package. Additionally, you might want to delete the files inside the WorldCaches folder.

The sims 3 does not do a good job at cleaning up some things, for example, taxis sometimes get stuck and never leave the streets, standing in place or roaming around forever (these accumulate over time, eating memory, note: this is unrelated with bridgeport, there are a number of ever-roaming taxis on the streets as scenery to make the city look busy); Sometimes sims forget to turn off radios or tvs around the town and this eventually starts causing audio delays or sound effects outright not playing. These two, however, shouldn't cause problems on a brand new neighborhood.

Mods, unsuccessful patches, and even outdated video drivers can cause odd problems as well, did you updated WA/Ambitions after installing late night?, are you using many mods?.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »
Up until recently, my games have always run great.  I also do regular maintenance, but lately, even in starting new games, like my new dynasty, my sims are also walking jerky and not fluid like they were before.  I have done major cleanup on my computer and even got rid of processes too. Nothing works and I have 4 gigs memory and a large video card and clean up those EA folders frequently. It is not to the point of not playing it, it just makes it less enjoyable at times, but it does not happen with all games like Simstars.  I wish we could find out what causes these problems and get a fix.  If I thought it was my computer, then I could probably do something about it, but, you would think with a gaming computer, you would not have slow downs like this.

Simstar, I know your frustration.  I wish I could count how many times I have started over with the sims games in the past because of problems and had to buy new computers and I could not even play them.  Good luck and hopefully your problem will be solved,
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
Thanks. I'm seriously hoping I won't have to get a new computer, because my parents will never allow it.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »
What about your graphics card, Simstar?  Is it up to the minimum requirements for the game?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
Is it a laptop? Does it get noticeably hotter, particularly when the game is running slow?.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
What about your graphics card, Simstar?  Is it up to the minimum requirements for the game?
I'm not that good with technical stuff, so I can't tell what exactly I need to look at, so here's everything I found under graphics card

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model:   GeForce 8600M GT
  Type:   Display
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   128 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x0407
  Revision ID:   0x00a1
  ROM Revision:   3175
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Resolution:   1440 x 900
  Depth:   32-Bit Color
  Core Image:   Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Quartz Extreme:   Supported
  Built-In:   Yes
Display Connector:

And heres what I found on the internet about the sims 3 system requirements
OPERATING SYSTEM

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher
PROCESSOR

Intel Core Duo
MEMORY (RAM)

2GB
HARD DISK SPACE

6.1GB of space, 1 GB extra for saved games and custom content
VIDEO CARD

ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of video RAM or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS:
————————

NVIDIA GeForce series

7300, 7600
8600, 8800
9400M, 9600M GT
GT 120, GT 130
ATI Radeon™ series

X1600, X1900
2400, 2600
4850, 4870
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)

GMA X3×00 series
Intel ® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) GMA 3-Series .
This game will not run on Mac systems with processor PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) or video cards with integrated GMA 950 series.

So, it looks like I've got all the requirements. :-\

Is it a laptop? Does it get noticeably hotter, particularly when the game is running slow?.
My computer is a laptop, and I haven't noticed it heating up at all when I'm playing the sims.
On an odd note, I started up one of my Sunset Valley towns, and it was acting considerably faster. It's still pretty sluggish and laggy, but its better then my other game. I'm starting to think its just my towns in Bridgeport with all these problems.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
But you've been having these problems long before Bridgeport came out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog