Author Topic: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge  (Read 195126 times)

Offline simfulicious

• Immortal
Re: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge
« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »
Thanks, Metro...you're the bestest!! ;D

Online MarianT

• Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #376 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »
Metro, thanks-- not just for the challenge, but for answering all our questions afterwards.
When the Zombies Come
Four Centuries of Quatreviers
PM me for a link to A Fulcrum in Time

Members with at least 25 posts do not see ads within a topic.

Offline simfulicious

• Immortal
« Reply #377 on: July 22, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
I think my apartment's elevator is stuck, though the doors are not open.  The maid can't get up, and my heir tried to go school but couldn't get there due to the elevator.  Now it's time for the adults to go to work, and they are all just standing there, waiting for the elevator that never comes.

Can I please have permission to use buydebug to buy a new elevator, and see if that fixes the problem?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #378 on: July 22, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »
I think my apartment's elevator is stuck, though the doors are not open.  The maid can't get up, and my heir tried to go school but couldn't get there due to the elevator.  Now it's time for the adults to go to work, and they are all just standing there, waiting for the elevator that never comes.

Can I please have permission to use buydebug to buy a new elevator, and see if that fixes the problem?

Sure.

Offline ratchie

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
For one of the collections would it be alright to grow an omni plant feed it books and have the books as the collection. I know that feeding it a book we have bought from the book store probably wouldn't count as that is not something that has been grown,found,given or made but how about say a book that our Sims have found/stolen from base camp while on vacation.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
For one of the collections would it be alright to grow an omni plant feed it books and have the books as the collection. I know that feeding it a book we have bought from the book store probably wouldn't count as that is not something that has been grown,found,given or made but how about say a book that our Sims have found/stolen from base camp while on vacation.

Rachel

Sure, that collection sounds like a good idea, Rachel.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #381 on: July 26, 2011, 02:43:04 AM »
This is confusing me a little.  I'm not aware of an official collection of books that would qualify for being left behind.  It's not the same as butterflies or gems where we know what's in the collection.  How will this work with books and the Omni plant?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

My Blog
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver Townie DecaDynasty

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #382 on: July 26, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »
This is confusing me a little.  I'm not aware of an official collection of books that would qualify for being left behind.  It's not the same as butterflies or gems where we know what's in the collection.  How will this work with books and the Omni plant?

Rachel's talking about feeding an Omni plant books that have been found or stolen and having the resulting book "fruit" count as a collection. So, as long as the books fed to the plant are not bought, she's fine.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #383 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been asked before and I just didn't see it...

Can presents from other sims (outside of the household - such as wedding presents) count as a collection for your heir to leave behind?

Thank you! 

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #384 on: July 26, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been asked before and I just didn't see it...

Can presents from other sims (outside of the household - such as wedding presents) count as a collection for your heir to leave behind?

Thank you! 

Sure, why not? Lol. The more categories for possible collections the better.

norsky

« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
I may have to try this. The deca-dynasty challenge sounds fun!

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #386 on: July 28, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
A couple more questions. The heirs have to supermax a skill does that mean other heirs cannot max the same skill. I am thinking purely in terms of careers as I might run out of career options if I cannot max Athletics more then once.

Second question would inventions count as a collection.

Third question the ten NPC friends do they have to be friends with the family at the time of the heir moving or can we collect them as the heir goes through his/her life. On the same subject how do we know if the NPC is a science geek.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #387 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
A couple more questions. The heirs have to supermax a skill does that mean other heirs cannot max the same skill.

Right. The SuperMax requirement means that skill is unique to the heir.

Second question would inventions count as a collection.

Yes.

Third question the ten NPC friends do they have to be friends with the family at the time of the heir moving or can we collect them as the heir goes through his/her life.

It all comes down to having moving requirements fulfilled at moving time just like in the Immortal Dynasty it all comes down to eating Ambrosia for the first time. Same deal.

dragonic2020

« Reply #388 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
Is using the potions from the chemistry set allowed for DecaDynasty as well as Immortal challenges?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #389 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Is using the potions from the chemistry set allowed for DecaDynasty as well as Immortal challenges?

Anything that has the potential to extend life would be banned for heirs in the DecaDynasty. In the Immortal Dynasty once an immortal has eaten Ambrosia then they're free to do minor things such as tattoos or makeovers, but some of the new Generation stuff would eliminate the need of eating Ambrosia altogether, so that is not allowed — i.e. the age freeze thing. Non-heirs in the DecaDynasty are free to do whatever tricks they want. Immortal Dynasty non-immortal household members still cannot prolong lifespan.

dragonic2020

« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Anything that has the potential to extend life would be banned for heirs in the DecaDynasty. In the Immortal Dynasty once an immortal has eaten Ambrosia then they're free to do minor things such as tattoos or makeovers, but some of the new Generation stuff would eliminate the need of eating Ambrosia altogether, so that is not allowed — i.e. the age freeze thing. Non-heirs in the DecaDynasty are free to do whatever tricks they want. Immortal Dynasty non-immortal household members still cannot prolong lifespan.
So that means all potions other than "Young Again" and "Age Freeze" can be used?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #391 on: July 28, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
So that means all potions other than "Young Again" and "Age Freeze" can be used?

Right.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #392 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Rachel's talking about feeding an Omni plant books that have been found or stolen and having the resulting book "fruit" count as a collection. So, as long as the books fed to the plant are not bought, she's fine.

But when would the collection be considered complete?  The other collections that count toward being able to move out have a specific number of items that are part of the collection.  For example, a metal collection would include all the available metals in the game, right?  So you know it's a complete collection when your Sim has gathered each metal.  If you're feeding random books to the Omni plant, when it the collection complete?

My Blog

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #393 on: July 30, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »
Pam,as far as I am aware the heir just needs to leave ten items of a specific type behind. For instance you could leave ten time machines or ten paintings. I think the idea is for the player to attempt to make these items as valuable as possible and at the end of the challenge the total of all the collections is added up.
For instance I plan on my first heir having a collection of mounted fish.  My second might very well have a collection of ten ice sculptures.

I believe I am on the right track with this but I am sure Metro will correct me if I am wrong.

Rachel

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #394 on: July 30, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
Thanks, Rachel.  I was just confusing myself for some reason.  So, never mind.

My Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #395 on: July 30, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »
But when would the collection be considered complete?  The other collections that count toward being able to move out have a specific number of items that are part of the collection.  For example, a metal collection would include all the available metals in the game, right?  So you know it's a complete collection when your Sim has gathered each metal.

Rachel is spot on. We're not talking about completing collections. How would that "complete" logic to paintings or sculptures? It can't. It's simply 10 of a particular type/class of item.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #396 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Metro would souvineers from school field trips count as a collection. Of course you would have to have more then one child in the family in order to get ten items I think.

Also would a collection of books written by one of the family count as a collection. I am not a hundred percent sure if when an author gets a copy of the book in the mail if they are worth anything.

Rachel

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
Metro would souvineers from school field trips count as a collection.

I guess that would qualify as its own item type. Sure.

Also would a collection of books written by one of the family count as a collection. I am not a hundred percent sure if when an author gets a copy of the book in the mail if they are worth anything.

I'm not sure on that either, Rachel. But, books written by Sims definitely qualify.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
I am not a hundred percent sure if when an author gets a copy of the book in the mail if they are worth anything.

Rachel

I did notice that one of my Sims had the option at the Consignment Store to sell his copy of a book he had written.  So, yes, they are worth something.  The book in question wasn't worth much, but it was the first and only book he had written, so I assume books written by level 10 writers would be worth more.  It would be interesting to try it with a Masterpiece book.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Machete Girl

« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
Hello. I am New to the Sims and to forums. I have been playing Sims 3 and all the expansions for a year. I love it!! For the past year I have been reading all the forums I find and learning all I can about this complicated world of Simming. I want to thank Carl and Pam and all the others who put so much hard work and dedication in putting up these cites and forums.  ;D  
I just updated my video card and reinstalled the game and expansions and all the fun stuff that comes with playing this game  :) I don't play with mods, although I am interested in the [edited--MM] mod.(?)
I am here because I want to try this challenge but it's so confusing at first. There is a difference between townies and in game families? Townies are like the Goth family? They live in the town already? I have always created/played my own sims. It says traits and lifetime wishes are open, but don't townies come with their own traits and wishes?
My other confusion is with black ops?? I have been trying to find a definition of these. What makes it a black op? what is it?
I did read the beginning questions of this forum bet never quite found a satisfying answer. Thank you for any help.