The Sims 3 Showtime Expansion Pack: Genies
Magic Lamps, Wishes, Freeing Genies, and Genie Babies
The Genie is the occult life state brought to The Sims 3 with the Showtime Expansion. These powerful beings are enslaved and bound to a magical lamp, forced to do the bidding of their master. That is, the lucky Sim who holds the lamp! While you get only three wishes as one would expect from a Genie, by using one of your wishes they can be released from the lamp to join your household.
Finding a Lamp
There is a Lifetime Reward for 30,000 happiness called a Dusty Old Lamp. This is the only direct and easy way to get a magic lamp, although there are two free but very random options available to you. They can be found rarely while exploring the catacombs in any town's cemetery, or through the dimensional gate you can access by upgrading the PlasmaPunch Gyroscopic Conductor with level 10 handiness. Either way, once you have it you are ready to summon a genie and make a wish!
A Genie can grant a variety of wishes for your Sim. After your Sim makes a wish, the genie needs about a day of rest to do it again. In between time, you can summon the genie at any time and socialize with him or her. To save you trial and error, here's a list of what each of the genie's wishes do:
- World Peace (World Misery if Evil): Sims get a nice 3 day moodlet, and can forever talk about World Peace or World Misery to other Sims.
- Resurrect Sim: With the remains of a Sim on your lot, this wish will be selectable and return them to life.
- More Wishes: When running low, you can get a chance at more wishes. You should get at least one, which basically wastes your time but it's worth a shot.
- Love: This lets you select any Sim you know and instantly makes them fall in love with your Sim. You can't select genies with this wish.
- Long Life: Wishing for Long Life will add 30 days to your Sim's lifespan, so that they can stay in the current life stage longer.
- Large Family: Use this before your Sim woohoos to try for baby and they will have triplets.
- Happiness: This gives your Sim an Eternal Joy moodlet with no timer, meaning they will have its +25 boost forever.
- Free the Genie: Requires friends status. After the completion of an opportunity the genie will join your household. Will not work if you already have a Special Opportunity in that slot, so clear it or finish the previous task.
- Fortune: Gives your household 100,000 Simoleons instantly.
- Beauty: Wishing for beauty will make your Sim forever more attractive to others, enhancing the success rate of any romantic interactions.
After your third wish is used, the genie's lamp will remain yours to keep, which is kind of a raw deal for them if you think about it. However, Sims can go so far as to fall in love with a genie. They cannot be married or have children while still enslaved but you could technically carry your Sim's boyfriend around in her pocket and summon him when needed. It seems a female Sim should be able to get pregnant by a male genie and have a 50% chance of a genie baby being born.
Freeing a Genie
You can add a genie to your family by befriending them, then using a wish to free the genie. A short opportunity chain will come up when you select the wish, requiring you to freeze the lamp in the fridge, then heat it in the oven and finally carry it with you into the catacombs at the graveyard. Upon summoning the genie again, they will join your home.
Genies have the same needs as a regular Sim, only a longer lifespan. Because of their magical powers, they levitate when they run and move a lot faster than a regular Sim. They come with several helpful abilities and are probably the ultimate utility Sims. They can instantly clean the entire house, or a Sim. They can also summon perfect quality food in group portions (no ambrosia, but I recommend baked angel food cake for the buff). If a Sim really gets on your nerves, a genie can Banish them, which sends them somewhere else and out of your hair. Something genies can do which can be very useful, is ensorcel Sims to do their bidding. This charm puts a 4 hour buff on a Sim and gives you temporary control. Literally, the Sim will appear as a household member for this brief time. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they will be receptive of interactions with your Sims, but you as the player can make them do anything and have full access to their inventory.
A Sim trying for a baby with a Genie would produce a 50% chance at offspring with genie powers. If you really want a genie baby, save the game before the pregnancy begins. Otherwise, you can affect the gender by using the Watermelon/Apples Trick. They cannot grant wishes but have the same powers as a freed genie.
Genie offspring can begin using their powers at the Childhood stage. It's going to be a lot easier to do chores with the clean entire house ability, and they can ensorcel a smart Sim to help them with homework! They of course have a chance to pass their powers on to later children. Thankfully, genie kids are children for the same length of time as a regular Sim. Their extra lifespan is for the adult years. Genies that die will still have their powers as genie ghosts.
It's because of your hard work that I decided to try the Genie occult state in a new game I decided to make.
Keep up the hard work!
Im having a slight problem with the sims3 seasons this doesn't happen often but my game will randomly shut off on me it's been doing this since i installed pets and my game is up to date do you have any advice
You can support our Sims 3 site by purchasing your next game (digital/hard copy) through EA Origin