|The Sims 3 Ambitions|
|Professions||Bake Sales||Consignment Shop||Simbot||Inventing||Sculpting|
Carl's Guide and Review to The Sims 3 Ambitions
An Overview of New Game Features in the Ambitions Expansion Pack
Ambitions is the second expansion pack released for The Sims 3. Its core theme is professions, and makes some interesting additions to how Sims can earn money in the game. In this guide, we'll learn about what's new in Ambitions and touch on its features. The guide is meant to be a platform for getting you to other articles on the guide with more detailed information on each topic. Naturally some people are on the fence about buying Ambitions, and this guide may help them make their final decision. Typical game reviews don't usually give a nice rundown of everything that's included. Also, if you just bought it, you may discover some things you didn't notice.
Professions are the focus of the Ambitions expansion. You'll now have the ability to be much more interactive when pursuing a job with a Sim. While the originals remain untouched, there's a lot of juicy new content and ways to make money. Professions generally pay by the job, with a weekly stipend thrown in for good measure. Let's have a look at the new roles Sims can fill:
- Architect - The Architectural Design profession will send your Sim on jobs to redecorate other Sims' homes. They may want their bathroom remodeled, or a nursery for their baby. You'll be given instructions and a set budget. A modified buy/build mode serves as your platform for serving your customers. There's more depth than meets the eye here as Sims with particular traits can be picky!
- Doctor - The Doctor profession is not all that new, but an updated version of the medical career track from vanilla Sims 3. You'll now have the option of leaving the hospital during work hours to do side jobs such as vaccinations and clinic duty.
- Firefighter - Take on this career to rescue Sims and put out fires. It's suited to athletic types. Later in the profession you can even work from home as your Sim will get a personal fire engine and fire alarm for taking emergency calls.
- Ghost Hunter - This is one of the more unique new professions in Ambitions. During work hours, your Sim will be given jobs to eliminate hauntings from others' homes. These can range from Spirits, to Poltergeists, to full body apparitions scaring the home owners. You of course get a zapper gun in ghost buster fashion and can even collect certain types of Spirits you encounter to earn extra money.
- Inventor - This is a self employment profession, and full-blown skill for Ambitions players. You'll be able to make all sorts of wonderul gadgets, decorations, and toys from scrap your Sim collects in the new Junk Yard. One of the cooler aspects of this is the ability to make an excavator to drill in your back yard or practically any other lot. You'll find treasures and can even travel from point A to point B using the left over tunnels. Simmers who stick it out to level 10 can even fashion their own SimBot! That's right, the mechanical companion has been brought back with Ambitions. Avoid water!
- Private Investigator - This profession will send your Sim sleuthing for clues to solve a number of multi-step cases. The cases won't be unfamiliar to World Adventures players who've done a lot of adventuring. They're linear, but random in who's involved. Your Sim will be able to rummage through trash for clues, go on stakeouts, and even break into homes to get the information they need to solve the case.
- Sculptor - The second of two major skills in Ambitions, the sculptor is a very lucrative path to take. You can make all sorts of different item types, from toilets to statues. Use them to decorate your home, or even help with your Architectural Design by offering unique pieces to clients. You can fashion objects out of clay, wood, stone, ice, and even make topiaries.
- Stylist - If you pursue the Stylist profession, your Sim will get jobs to improve the looks of Sims all over town. You can do full makeovers and wardrobes. Clients will have specific needs and it's up to you to fill them. Stylist is a hidden skill as well, so your Sim will get better and better success rates on the job as you pursue the career. Build a portfolio and impress new clients to earn even more money during work hours.
- Teacher - This is the weakest addition in terms of gameplay. It's a simple old-school career track, and doesn't bring a lot to the game. For some reason, they didn't even add a lifetime wish for teachers. Still, it's nice to have one more path to pursue.
In addition to these career tracks, Sims who pursue a skill as their primary method of earning money can now register as self employed. It's as simple as gaining the first level in a skill then heading to City Hall to register. This provides another way to earn cash in the form of bonuses and your Sim will accomplish set goals that provide them with occasional rewards like decorative plaques and trophies.
As mentioned previously, the Inventing and Sculpting skills are new to Ambitions. There's also a new hidden skill, Tattoo Art. Your Sim can buy a chair and do tattoos at home, or do this at the Salon in town. Doing more tattoos will gradually improve their earnings and success rate when using the machine.
The Consignment Shop
New to each town is a Consignment Store where Sims can sell their creations. This is much better as opposed to selling paintings and inventions through the inventory. Now, you can put objects up for sale and expect them to be sold at a high mark up, boosting your profit. Almost anything Sims can create can be sold here, and you'll be encouraged to do so as there's a consignment tab in the skill journal which tracks your Sim's ability to sell objects.
Real Estate & Property Ownership
While vanilla Sims 3 enables players to invest in properties and become business partners to earn weekly cash from their holdings, Ambitions improves on this. Now, almost every public place in town can be purchased and improved. Any place your Sim can enter that's not a rabbit hole can be upgraded with new infrastructure after purchasing its deed, such as placing a picnic table by a lake, or adding new washing machines to the laundromat. Fulfilling certain requirements for each property will up its value and lead to greater returns. The original properties will be the same, and require you to buy out ownership in order to get those juicy pay checks.
New Traits and Lifetime Wishes
As a Sims expansion, of course Ambitions offers a healthy dose of new traits and wishes for Simmers. Most every new profession has something strongly tied to it, such as the savvy sculptor trait and Descendant of da Vinci Lifetime Wish. Many of these exist only to synergize with the new gameplay options, and that's fine. Something new and unrelated to other expansion content is the Possession is Nine Tenths of the Law lifetime wish, suited for Kleptomaniacs.
On the trait front, there are a number of interesting new additions such as the eco-friendly trait, which makes Sims 'go green' and get happy when they help save the planet. The dramatic trait is one of those neat ones for making your Sims more entertaining. They'll respond over-dramatically to life events much like a real life drama queen. Born Salesperson is strongly tied to the consignment shop and will help your Sim to be more business minded and improve their success there.
New Lifetime Rewards
The only truly major addition to the Sims 3's lifetime reward offerings brought by Ambitions is 'My Best Friend' at 40,000 happiness points. This gives your Sim a SimBot helper, which is much like a regular Sim. They're naturally attuned to handiness and inventing, and start with some skill in both. Of course, you can create your own with the Inventing skill as well, and choose between male or female SimBots.
The entrepreneurial mindset and profession simoleon booster are directly tied to the new professions and boost the experience gained and money earned, respectively. Suave sellers make more cash from their sales at the consignment store. Inventors and metal Sculptors will be interested in the Fireproof Homestead reward for 30,000 which will stop fires from breaking out on their home lot all together.
In short, if you're after the expansion for the rewards, there's not a lot that will help your Sim in day to day life, But, if you like the other additions to the game, the rewards with Ambitions work very well with what's included.
New Objects and Items
There are tons of new objects included with Ambitions. Of course many of them are new versions of what's already out there, such as new table styles, chairs and other miscellaneous decor, totaling probably 100 new objects of that variety alone. Some are more important for gameplay, however.
Naturally you'll find skill and profession related items such as the sculpting station, stylist chair, tattoo applicator, drafting table, and inventor's table. These are all expected, but what's truly new?
Perhaps the biggest addition is Laundry equipment. Hampers, Washing Machines, and Dryers can all be purchased. When a Sim takes a shower, they'll leave behind some clothes. Use the hamper to collect them, then put them in the wash. Do something while the washer runs, and move them to the dryer. It's an easy process and owning the equipment at home, as opposed to going to the new laundromat, is a good goal to shoot for. When wearing fresh clothes, Sims will get a wonderful +25 moodlet that lasts for 16 full hours, enough to see them through the entire day!
If you wonder where to buy the laundry equipment in buy mode's sort by function, let me give you a hand: Look on the bathroom tab. Next to the sink is a hamper. There lies everything associated with Laundry.
Portable Gnubb equipment can be bought from the outdoor activites tab. It's a sport Sims can get better at, much as they improve in chess. Ther goal is to knock down all the pins with a baton. As a group activity, it's great. Sims build relationships and have fun at the same time. Winning also bestows a positive moodlet. Another outdoor activity is the trampoline, and Sims will also improve in their skills on this fun device. It can be joined by another Sim, so it's a neat way to interact and get some exercise.
Children can now make profit from Bake Sales using the Baker's Half Dozen Table. While kids could already cook, now they'll be able to make more items and sell them for a profit. Learn about Bake Sales.
New Moodlets and Wishes
All the new activies offered by Ambitions have associated wishes that can be completed for Lifetime Happiness Points. There's a nice variety of offerings, and they work well with what's already in the game to keep you interested and seeking new goals all the time.
New Moodlets are somewhat sparse, most of which are tied to the Eco-Friendly trait. There are probably 10 varieties for them alone. The rest are directed at Dramatic Sims. Existing traits will also see a little more activity, such as the Snob not wanting to buy second-hand from the consignment shop. Stylist Sims get the Stylin' moodlet at level 10 in their profession, which is a permanent boost to mood. Laundry and Gnubb round out the rest of the additions.
I'm not big on dress up, so I couldn't tell you how many new additions there are, but there's plenty of stuff to spiff up your Sim's wardrobe. Naturally, I'd say, considering there's a stylist profession now. The Time Machine, created by inventors offers several new outfits that can be found randomly from the past and future for males and females.
New Cause of Death
There's a new way to die in Ambitions, and it ain't pretty, but it is preventable if you're on the ball. Unless you want your Sim to get smashed, run away because a meteorite may fall on them. You can see where the thing is going to land by its shadow, so get your Sim a scootin if the shadow's on them.
So much content. As you can see, there's a lot more to this expansion than meets the eye. If you were debating getting it, I hope this clears things up for you. Eventually this page will be littered with links to subpages about all the new content. Check the home page for our latest additions as our Ambitions coverage continues.